1. About your personal information
At the Money Advice Liaison Group (MALG) we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Any questions regarding our use of your personal information and our privacy practices should be sent by email to email@example.com or by writing to Money Advice Liaison Group, Unit 8 Eckland Lodge, Desborough Road, Market Harborough, Leics, LE16 8HB.
2. Who are we?
The Money Advice Liaison Group (MALG) is a not-for-profit UK membership organisation whose purpose is to galvanise organisations to ‘work together to improve the lives of people with problem debt’. MALG is a company limited by guarantee (no. 9910366).
3. How do we collect your information?
We collect personal information from a variety of sources including when you:
- Apply for or renew your MALG membership
- Book to attend or sponsor a MALG event
- Subscribe to our newsletter
Information is collected electronically and using paper forms.
4. How is your information used?
We will process your information in order to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, for example your membership benefits or attendance at an event. With your consent we will also use your information to send you direct marketing in the form of monthly e-newsletters.
Specifically, your information may be used to:
- process your event booking, event sponsorship, membership or subscription;
- create a paper and electronic record of your booking, application or subscription;
- provide you with a service, including any membership benefits;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you, based on the information we hold on you. These communications may include information about MALG services, events, and campaigns.
We will also process your information where we have a legitimate interest to do so. For example, if you are a member we will respond to any enquiry you make or any support needs you may have or we may invite you to take part in research. If you attend a MALG event we may contact you to provide joining instructions or request your feedback.
5. What happens if you do not provide information?
If you choose not to provide us with data, we may not be able to provide the service you have requested from us in full or in part.
6. How long do we retain data for?
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. We will not hold any information which is not necessary for the relevant activity.
Specific retention periods include:
- Membership data is retained for 12 months after the end of membership
- Contractual information is retained for 6 years
- Information relating to attendance at MALG events is retained indefinitely
7. Who else has access to your information?
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- Third Party Service Providers:
We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to provide your membership benefits). These organisations may include communications providers and event venues.
However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have an agreement in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties for them to use for their own direct marketing purposes.
- MALG Board, Executive Committee, Regional Committee and other Representatives
If you are a member, we will also pass basic details about you and your preferred email address to MALG representatives in your region, so they can update you regarding meetings, news, campaigns and initiatives
8. What choices do you have regarding your data?
We will not contact you for marketing/general communication purposes unless you have given your prior consent. You can withdraw consent or change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All our enewlsetters contain a one-click unsubscribe button.
9. How you can access and update your information?
The accuracy of your information is important to us. If you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please let us know.
You also have the right to ask for a copy of the information MALG holds about you which we will normally provide free of charge. We will provide you with this information as soon as possible and normally within one month of your request.
If you wish to update your details or request a copy of your information, please email us at email@example.com.
10. Transferring your information outside of the European Union
As part of the services offered to you by MALG, the information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Union (EU). For example, we may use MailChimp to send you emails, and SurveyMonkey to collect and analyse your information, such as when you renew your membership. Both these companies are located in the United States.
We will only transfer your personal data outside of the EU when this is necessary to provide you with a membership benefit or other service, and in compliance with the conditions for such transfers set out in Chapter V of the General Data Protection Regulation.
11. Your rights
You have the following rights regarding your personal information:
- Right to be informed – you have the right to be informed about how we process your information, for example via this notice.
- Right of access – you have the right to request and access the information we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- Right to rectification – you are entitled to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – you can request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing.
- Right to restrict processing – you have a right to ‘block’ or suppress processing of personal data.
- Right to data portability – you have a right to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services.
- Right to object – you have a right to object to: our processing of your information when this is based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling); direct marketing (including profiling); and processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.
- Rights related to automated decision making including profiling
For full details of these rights see the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/
If you wish to exercise one of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Your right to complain
If you have a concern about the way we handle your personal information, please let us know soon as possible and we will all we can to address the issue. Please make any complaint in writing by email to email@example.com.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), for example if you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint. The ICO can be contacted online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/or by telephone on 0303 123 1113.