StepChange, the largest specialist debt advice provider in the UK, has published a briefing ahead of the UK General Election on 8 June 2017 calling on all parties to help struggling households and turn around the lives of those held back by debt.
Based on its experience StepChange suggests a range of policies that will help struggling households now:
- A breathing space scheme for hard press households
- A better alternative to high cost credit
- Action to tackle harmful credit
- Help households build rainy day savings to protect against shocks
- Significantly improve the conduct of public sector creditors