Money Advice Liaison Group Logo


The Debt & Mental Health Evidence Form (DMHEF) is an integral part of the MALG Good Practice Awareness Guidelines for Helping Consumers with Mental Health Conditions & Debt. Below is a series of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for consumer, advisers and creditors using the form.

I work in the health service/social care.  I’ve been asked to complete the DMHEF for my patient – where do I return the form to as there is no address?

The form should be accompanied by a stamped, addressed envelope to either the creditor or adviser assisting the individual with a mental health condition.

If this envelope is missing, then the patient should be able to tell you who they
need to send the form to.  This will either be: (i) the organisation(s) they owe money to; (ii) the debt adviser who is assisting them or: (iii) the individual in the case of the assisted self-help form.

The form should not be sent or emailed to MALG – we do not administer the form, and will only be able to return this back to you.

I have a mental health problem and I am being contacted by people I owe money to, what should I do?

Contact your creditors and explain the situation.  They should deal with you in a sympathetic and fair manner.

Alternatively, you may also wish to contact an advice agency for support or refer to the Money Advice Service website for further guidance:

I’d like to approach my lender re a problem – can you advise?

You should seek their assistance without delay.  Be open and honest about your situation so that together you can reach an appropriate outcome.

I have downloaded the DMHEF; who do I take it to for completion?

The form is designed for health or social care professionals to complete and will usually be sent to them by either an advice agency of creditor.  Speak to your creditor or advice agency if you would like them to help you with this.

I have other physical disabilities/medical conditions.  Can the form be used for these illnesses?

No, the form is only available where there are mental health conditions present.

I am a creditor and I am owed money but the person says they have a mental health problem, they have stopped paying and are no longer communicating with me.  What can I do?

You should follow your organisation’s internal processes. Guidance on working with customers with mental health problems can be found at:

Can you provide me with details of where my organisation can get mental health training for our team of collectors? Where can I get training packages?

MALG cannot favour any particular providers of training.

For money advisers, Wiseradviser training is available through the Money Advice Trust or

How should I use the evidence form?

Refer to the relevant guide on the MALG website:

The Debt & Mental Health Evidence Form for Creditors

The Debt & Mental Health Evidence Form for Advisers (Case Work)

The Debt & Mental Health Evidence Form for Advisers (Assisted Self-help)

Who should use the evidence form?

The form should be used by creditors or advisers to help gather information to inform them of the customer’s situation.  It will help start a conversation with the customer about how best to help them/negotiate with creditors.

Why is there a separate consent form?

This is needed to demonstrate to the health or social care professional that the individual is happy for their medical situation to be given to a third party.

Who should I talk to if I want to use bespoke version of the form for my organisation?

The form on the MALG website is available to creditors and advisers to use as designed.  If you have a particular requirement regarding presentation of the form for your organisation, please use the MALG contact details.

Are there template letters I can use to send with the DMHEF?

MALG has not produced template letters as cases will differ.

Is there a charge for completion of the form?

The form was not designed with a charge associated with it as it is intended as a tool to support those with mental health conditions.  MALG would encourage the form to be completed on a goodwill basis.